Area Rug Cleaning Singapore
Area rugs are often used over edge-to-edge carpeting because they are easier to clean, and if you get bored of the look it’s easier to change an area rug and replace it.
While there is a wide range of options in the selection of area rugs, there are some pointers to think through when using them. Below are some of the rules of thumb to ponder before buying an area rug.
Size Matters when it Comes to Area Rugs
Before considering an area rug in your living room or your family room keep the following tips.
Many people frequently made mistake with area rugs is to get one that is too small. An area rug should fit beneath all of the major furniture pieces in a room, for example, the sofa or the bed. It this isn’t possible you should at least fit the front legs of major upholstered on the rug (the back legs can be off). The legs of smaller pieces should be at least on the rug whenever possible. Consider carefully on the different layout of your furniture before purchasing an area rug.
- If you have an exceptionally large room, divide up the discussion areas and use a different rug for each one (they don’t have to match but should be organised by colour or pattern).
- For most average-sized rooms, there should be roughly 25cm – 50cm of uncovered floor between the edges of the area rug and the walls of the room (depending on the size of the room you can go as low as 20cm and as high as 60cm). Ensure the rug is in the centre of the room and the space between the rug and the wall is the same on all four sides.
- Making sure that in heavily trafficked areas there is enough room for people to walk on the rug no matter what the size (they shouldn’t have one foot on and one foot off).
Check for Colour and Pattern
- Area rugs are like an artwork for the floor and they are a great way to instil some liveliness into a room. Don’t be scared to choose something with colour and pattern.
- Area rugs with daring designs can give lots of thrill, but make sure that when you place your furniture on them the designs of the area rug is totally not covered up. Take your furniture layout into consideration before you purchase your area rug.
- If your room has an unusual size or you want to customize a pattern, do consider having carpet tiles. Carpet tiles come in a large range of colours and patterns so you can choose what works for you. It’s also possible to replace these carpet tiles if there’s a spill.
Area Rug Maintenance
Tips for cleaning of individual rugs can be various, but there are certain things you can do to maintain your area rug to look at its best and to help to last for more years to come. Before buying think about where you’ll be using it and what kind of care will be needed.
- As a rule of thumb, medium-to-high pile rugs should be correctly cleaned once a year to eliminate dust, hair and any allergens (vacuuming isn’t enough).
- Low-pile and flatweave rugs should be taken outside occasionally to be shaken out.
- Check the cleaning advice before making a buy. Big spills could result in permanent damage if the rug is made of natural fibres like jute and sisal which can’t really be cleaned. However, these rugs don’t show minor dirt and stains as much as other fibres.
- Do not remove any tags with any cleaning instructions. Some rugs can last for many years and you may overlook the ideal way to clean them after a decade or so has passed.
Area Rug Cleaning Singapore is a local company and we pride ourselves as the leader in carpet cleaning. Leave us a message and we be glad to get back to you as soon as possible.